Scenario: I want to deploy some software on a large number of systems. Manual installations on these systems are not possible because most of them are remote sites.
Solution: To make the task easy and to manage it centrally I have configured GPO to deploy that software. Through GPO we can deploy software to a large number of the system when and ever we want. Only the thing is we will require MSI package for the same.
Software deployment via Group Policy
How to configure GPO: Below options we used to configure GPO.
1) To set the policy we will require to collect MSI file for that software and need to create the shared folder on any central server. So, create a shared folder on the central server and provide permissions as below and copy that particular software MSI file in a shared folder.
2) Once you configure the share permission now the second step is to set GPO for software deployment. So login with a user who is a member of domain admin or with domain administrator credentials to domain controller and go to Start–>RUN–>to open Group policy management console.
3) In GPMC select the OU where we want to link the GPO. Right click on OU and choose “Create a GPO in this domain and link it here” option.
Give the name to your GPO and click OK to create new GPO. This will link GPO to your selected OU. This will connect the new GPO to OU where we want to deploy our required software
4) Now we need to configure this new GPO to deploy software so, right click on the GPO and go to edit. This will open Group Policy Editor Dialog box.
Expand Computer Configuration–>Policies–>Software Settings. Right click on Software Installation and select New and then Package.
5) New Package configuration box will open. We have to provide shared folder path where our package contains. The route will be like \\server name\share name
Select the package to install. A new window will ask to select either Assign or Advance option. If you do not want to modify the package click on Assign and select OK.
This will configure MSI package and assign to computers on which we want to deploy software. In computer policy publish option will not available. Also, we are configuring this policy as computer policy, so no user interventions require. Once the machine restarts policy will be effective, and it will install software during system login.
Once after successful configuration of GPO and go to user machine and update GPO by GPUPDATE /FORCE command. Restart the system and check. During system startup, you will see the software is getting install and after installation, it will come to the login prompt (i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL option) Once after complete startup verify whether the software is installed in the system or not.